Today we are featuring a recipe from the restaurant The Geisha in Shanghai. Chef Boris shared with us how to make a spicy tuna roll.
Recipe for 6 to 8 pieces:
3 ounce tuna fillet, without skin
1 Japanese cucumber (or 1/2 Western variety, peeled and seeded)
2 cups sushi rice, cooked
1 sheet nori seaweed
1 yellow tail sashimi, cut into thin slices
How to make it:
1. Wash and boil the rice
2. According to the ratio blend vinegar and rice (vinegar is mixed using 1 teaspoon rice vinegar and 3 tablespoons of water)
3. Lay down a bamboo mat, then put nori (seaweed) over it.
4. Put evenly sushi rice on seaweed (seaweed should be toasted prior to using because this way it’s not chewy when served)
5. The tuna sashimi is ground or cut into thin slices and mixed with spicy sauce, then spread out over the rice evenly, with the cucumber (also a thin slice) and the yellow tail in the middle. Using a bamboo rolling mat, roll everything into a circle and cut with a wet knife into 6 or 8 pieces.
6. For the dish decoration, sprinkle with wasabi and colored tempura flakes. Garnish with wasabi and pickled ginger slices.
The Geisha restaurant/bar/sake lounge is open daily from 6 p.m. It is located on 390 Shaanxi Rodd near Fuxing Road. In 2012 the bar was voted the best bar in the world.
Copyright Restaurant The Gheisha